Back to all jobs
Lead Mechanical Design Consultant
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-time
Hours: 8.30 am to 5.15 pm (Monday to Thursday) and 8.30 am to 3.15 pm (Friday) – Hybrid options are available.
Salary: £70,000 – £90,000 dependent on experience
Benefits: Annual Bonus + 25 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays
The Role & Company
Due to the company coming under new ownership, we are working exclusively with a client who is recruiting for a Chartered Lead Engineer/Consultant. They need a new team member who will bring new development opportunities and help to shape and grow the business for the future. You will need experience in producing design verification calculations and analysis for pressure vessels, heat exchangers or storage tanks to various codes. These include PD5500, ASME VIII Div.1, EN 13445, EN 14015, EN1993-1-1 and API 650.
You will work for a small close-knit team where your input can make a real difference. Hybrid working is a possibility once you have worked in the role for 3-6 months.
Example of Responsibilities
- Manage a team of 2 engineers and 4 draughtsmen/mechanical designers.
- Engineering designs of pressure vessels, storage tanks, heat exchangers and other associated equipment.
- Prepare and review verification calculations following applicable design rules and analysis methodologies.
- Check and approve fabrication drawings produced by company draughtsmen.
- Take ownership of design jobs from initial contact through to delivery, communicating with the client throughout.
- Be the client’s first point of contact.
- Handle business enquiries from receipt to quotation.
- Develop and maintain design programs using Excel.
- Collaborate with other employees and help with staff development.
- Schedule, allocate resources, and monitor all work.
- Ensure the business is profitable and all staff are fully supported.
- Must be a Chartered Engineer
- Experience in a similar job role, particularly with managing a team.
- Proven experience in Design by Analysis (FEA) – ANSYS is preferable.
- Excellent knowledge of pressure vessel design and any associated international directives such as PD5500, ASME VIII Div.1, EN 13445, EN 14015, EN1993-1-1 and API 650.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Great communication skills.
- Must be eligible to work in the UK.
Keywords: Lead Mechanical Engineer, Lead Consultant Engineer, Senior Design Engineer, Mechanical Consultant, Mechanical Design Consultant, Pressure Vessels, Storage Tanks, Heat Exchangers